Thursday, January 26, 2006

Unable to login to Linksys WAP54G


I recently installed a Linksys WAP54G wireless access point to replace an older Linksys wireless router that was forced into service as an access point. The WAP54G has worked fine as an access point so far (about 1 week), but I was unable to login to the access point's web-based management utility. When I visited 192.168.40.10 (the IP I had assigned to the access point) I was prompted for my username and password. Page 38 of the manual indicates that the administration username is admin and the default password is admin. However, all that got me was 401 Unauthorized It turns out that the admin username is actually , yup no username.




So, to log in, I just left the username field blank and entered the password. Hopefully it's just the documentation that has errors and not the hardware. I noticed another curiosity on page 37 of the manual. Apparently, snmp is the standard e-mail protocol on the Internet. Hmm, that's not what RFC 1157 says. Fortunately, the body of the text correctly indicates the purpose of SNMP. I notified Linksys about both errors.

No comments: